Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Yet another update

Well, time for a health update.  Not much to report, to be honest.  I am still doing pretty well.  I have been able to go to the office each day this week and expect to be in tomorrow and Thursday after I get my blood tested and see the doctor. On Friday, I am scheduled for a transfusion.  I suspect that this will be a weekly thing.  But the doctors have obviously got my meds right because I am able to breath pretty well (though I am still on oxygen most of the time) and have energy for the day.  By night time I am pretty tired and my eyes are quite dry, but praise God for the way I have bounced back in the last couple of weeks.   Thanks to those of you who have been praying for me.

It’s interesting how people respond to me when they learn of my illness. Yesterday an old college friend called out of the blue whom I had not talked to since before my transplant in late December 2006.  He really didn’t know how to respond, I think.  I understand – that’s probably how I would have responded. 

Others, of course, think that they should try to cure me by suggesting some herbal or alternative treatments.  I appreciate their intent but I have been down that path and have probably heard about every possible treatment that worked for some family member or friend.  The fact is, most of them only work on localized cancers, not on cancer like mine that has spread throughout the entire immune system.

And then, of course, there are those who think that I need to understand biblical healing better or that I am either unsaved or don’t have enough faith. I try not to get too irritated with these last folks, not least of all because they ought to know better.  That is why I posted my article on whether healing is in the atonement; to make clear where I stand on the issue.  I do believe that God can heal but it is because of His mercy, grace, and compassion and not because I have some claim on Him or that He owes it to me based on what His Son did on the cross.

Well, that’s it for tonight. Feel free to drop me a line. I have added a contact form to this blog where you can send me a message if you like.  

No comments: