Saturday, July 26, 2008

Historical Records and Modern Technology

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I am reading a newly published biography of John A. Macdonald. I was struck by how much of what we know of him is from his letters and it occured to me that our reliance on electronic media is going to present a real problem for future historians, say in 100 years from now. How many of us really write "real" letters on paper anymore? Or anything for that matter? Most of my correspondence is in the form of emails. How many of us actually print out pictures anymore? So much is stored on mediums that I have my doubts will survive even a couple of decades at best.

Isn't it ironic that one of the consequences of today's information age is that future generations are likely to have such a sparcity of information about us?

No comments: