Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Canadian Leaders

Anyone who knows me knows that leadership is one of my passions. I love to read on the subject and have a rather sizeable collection of books on the subject. I want to be the best leader that I can be, by God's grace.

Recently, however, I realized that it was time to slow down my reading of new material and really focus on practicing that which I already had learned. I will be reviewing a number of books that I have read over the years and deepening my knowledge rather than just expanding it. As one of the latest Ken Blanchard books put it, "Learning less more rather than more less."

However, I still love reading and over the weekend decided that if I am called to be a leader in Canada, I should read about Canadian leaders (makes sense to me anyway). And what better place to start than with our prime ministers. While I love my country and our history, I realized, to my surprise, that I knew virtually nothing about most of the Canadian prime ministers, including our first (and probably most imporant), John A. Macdonald. So, I ordered Richard Gwyn's recent book, John A: The Man Who Made Us and have started reading it. Gwyn is an excellent writer and while I have only read the first 40 pages or so, I am very impressed. An extremely enjoyable read. I will let you know more about what I learn in the days to come.

I am looking forward to reading about more of them already (even Trudeau, whom I was raised to despise, growing up in Alberta during the 70's and 80's). Sadly, there seems to be a real dirth of books on this subject, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would sure appreciate it.

No comments: