Friday, March 27, 2009

When resolution goes a little too far

arguing_cartoon Denita and I have tried throughout our married life not to go to bed angry with each other and to resolve any arguments before going to sleep.  I think that it is a sound and biblical approach (see Ephesians 4:26).  Personally, I hate it when I think that someone has anything against me, especially my wife.  And so I work hard at resolving any conflicts.

So the following story from Reuters caught my eye the other day and made me think that perhaps there may be times when one could possibly try a little too hard to resolve an argument.....

Woman arrested after shackling self to husband

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:33pm EDT

HARTFORD, Connecticut (Reuters) - An American woman handcuffed herself to her sleeping husband in an apparent attempt to resolve an argument, but police ended up breaking into their home and charging her with assault and other crimes, authorities said on Tuesday.

Helen Sun, 37, handcuffed herself to Robert Drawbough as he slept in their Fairfield, Connecticut, home on Monday in an effort to reconcile their differences, police said.

But when Drawbough called police with his cell phone, Sun responded by biting him on the arms and torso, police said.

Police officers heard screams when they arrived at the home and forced their way in, said Chris Lyddy of the Fairfield Police Department. Sun had also changed the locks on their bedroom door.

Sun was charged with third-degree assault, disorderly conduct, reckless endangerment and unlawful restraint. She was released on a $400 bond.

"I can't say I've ever seen a scenario quite like this," said Lyddy.

No comments: