Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Sudanese sunrise

Sunrise over New Sudan

It's early Saturday morning and I am sitting looking out of the window of my home office which faces towards the southeast.  The colour of the sky this morning reminds me of sunrises in southern Sudan.  A rawness and beauty that is hard to describe.  I have been thinking a lot about Sudan lately.  Reading Marc Nikkel's book of letters from Sudan has me thinking back to my early trips there in the late 1990's, of how I fell in love with the people of that part of the world and how so much of my early work with The Voice of the Martyrs focused on the plight of the Christians there.  The recent arrest warrant issued by the ICC against Present El Bashir has reminded me just how unfinished the work of bring peace and justice to this torn country.  And I am saddened because there is virtually no chance that I will ever go there again.  I am happy that we are continuing to invest in the lives of the Sudanese by supporting a school in Loka; so much better than just sending relief aid.  But I would like to see the work for myself.  And to see another Sudanese sunrise.

Today's sunrise reminds me of the past and of a future that is ever more certain and finite. 

The things I have witnessed, the life that God has given me.  What a gift.  How thankful I am for the memory of a Sudanese sunrise. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot understand why things have gone the way they have for you but I know there is a glorious sunrise waiting for you. What a reunion you will have with Sudanese brothers and sisters whose lives you have touched. You have had an impact on me and my friends. This verse may not be given to you strictly in context but I believe it is relevant. "...Eye has not see, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love Him" (1 Cor. 2:9.
Give my love to Denita.
Eunice

Matthew said...

I'm still waiting for my first Sudanese sunrise... in time. I guess I sorta know a little how you feel, but probably not much.

Glad you like the book. : )

Glenn Penner said...

I loved the book. I just finished it this afternoon. We will certainly be making this available to our VOMC supporters. Thanks for putting me on to it.

Adele said...

Wow Glenn. Beautifully said.