Saturday, January 10, 2009

No more heperin shots for now

Back in July, I was referred to the Thrombosis Clinic at Toronto General Hospital because of a clot in my Hepatic vein in my liver.  The treatment was a Heperin shot twice a day for at least 6 months. Heperin is a blood thinner and is more effective than taking Warfarin pills especially when receiving chemo treatments.

Well, I am glad to report that I finished with the shots yesterday and we'll keep an eye on it to see if the clots continue to be a problem. But for now, no more injections!  I am so glad as my stomach is black, blue and lumpy from the shots.

I would appreciate prayer though.  I think I have a gum infection.  It's another side effect of the drugs I have been taking over the past few years and my continuing use of prednisone.  I suspect that I have an infection on the right, lower side that I will need to have looked at by my dentist.  I woke up early this morning with pain in my lower jaw. so I guess it is time to see if I can get this looked after.  Always something, isn't it??

3 comments:

Matthew said...

As a medical student, we learn about these treatments all the time but sometimes it's easy to forget the gravity of them and all the annoying or painful effects. I was just learning yesterday about heparin therapy (for another condition) and how you decide whether to give it for 6 months or for life. It's good to be reminded about what it's like to be a patient...

Glenn Penner said...

Not that I would wish this on anyone. Well..... let me rephrase that, there are a couple of doctors I have been subjected to who might benefit from being a patient. I sometimes wonder if some med students are adopting the "House" method of bedside manners :-)

Matthew said...

I have no doubt that the "House" method of bedside manners rubs off on some students, and certainly it's the attitude you hear from some attendings and residents-- I think it's mostly the cynical defense mechanism against patients that lie, disregard medical advice, continue smoking/drinking/using drugs, etc. The pressures of being responsible for others' health is great and some doctors don't respond to them well. I can definitely think of some folks that, as you say, would benefit from being a patient. Some of my fellow 2nd years and I have talked about how we can hold each other accountable in this regard, being "above reproach" in certain areas.

However, when it comes to med students, sometime some of them are still trying very hard to learn how to ask the right questions that they get nervous and forget completely about their manners... I know that I've certainly done that before. Good bedside manner is definitely learned, and especially if it's July (when all the new students start), patients ought to be forgiving if the students are a little deficient in that regard.