Monday, June 22, 2009

BENE SCPSISTI DE ME

triumph-of-saint-thomas-full

I have been giving some thought to the kind of legacy that I would like to leave behind after I am gone.  Personally, the work that I am most proud of is my work on the theology of persecution and discipleship.  Theology is my passion and I am looking forward to spending more time writing on this in the days to come when I move my library from my office to my home. 

Recently, I was reading a church history book and saw this picture of the triumph of Thomas Aquinas.  Written above him are the words that the painter believed that the Lord would say to Thomas upon entering the Lord’s presence:

BENE SCPSISTI DE ME, THOMMA

Translated from Latin, it reads "You have written well about me, Thomas".

I can think of fewer higher commendations for a theologians – to write well about their Lord.

My prayer is that the Lord might be able to say something like that to me at the end of my life: BENE SCPSISTI DE ME

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I very much believe God will say to you Glen "You have written well about me" - because you are a wonderful and inspiring witness - in writing, in your life, in your deep concern for the persecuted Christians - to the love and grace of Christ. Praying for you ...

“See, I have written your name on the palm of my hands." Isaiah 49.16.

Joanne